Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Institute of Ocean Sciences, Sidney, BC

Resources for Sea-Going Scientists

This page contains resources that will assist with your preparation for your upcoming science cruise.

Mandatory Items for All Scientists
These following items may either be included in an email from the Chief Scientist as part of the cruise plan or downloaded here.
All cruise participants MUST read over and complete any forms or courses here prior to boarding. If you have questions, then please ask the Chief Scientist for clarification ASAP. Scientists have been denied boarding because documents on this list have been missing.
Note that some of these items should be initiated well in advance (a few months) of the proposed cruise date.

Documents in this box are current as of Tuesday 31 March 2020.

Guidelines for Scientists Aboard Canadian Coast Guard Vessels
Guidelines on how science operates on Canadian Coast Guard vessels and what you need to know.

Familiarization Guide (version 9.0, February 2014)
Coast Guard's Familiarization Guide. You MUST read from page 19 onwards, including the 'General Statement of Risks' and the 'Statement of Medical Fitness'. These forms must then be completed before sailing (they will be available at the pre-departure meeting).

Next of Kin
Next of Kin Contact Information (available at the pre-departure meeting).

Medical Examination
To ensure that you will not suffer undue risk to your health while at sea, you may need to complete a full medical examination prior to sailing. This link outlines the requirements for a medical examination. Everyone at a minimum REQUIRES a full physical examination, see the link above for all details.

Personal Safety Gear
All science personal must have available on board: PFD, Steel-Toed Boots (bering CSA or similar certification), and Hardhat (with internal foam). There may be PFD's and Hardhats available for general use on board and you should check with the Chief Scientist prior to the cruise start date if you do not have your own (you must still bring your own boots.). Most scientists prefer their own Hardhats and PDF's as they are adjusted to fit your body. PFD's must have enough buoyancy to support the individual, and must be securely to the body with cinches (not just zippers). Self-inflating PFD's are NOT APPROVED for use on CCG vessels conducting science operations.

Personal Screening, Consent, and Authorization Form
Must be completed for ANY overnight stay aboard a CCG vessel. DFO employees will already have this on file, but other federal government agencies will need to provide a copy of this form to DFO. All others will need to complete and submit this form to XPAC Security well ahead of the proposed cruise start date. It never hurts to start this process early (3 months or more before the cruise) and even start it if you are unsure that you will be joining the cruise. Those that have lived in more than one country in the last 5 years will require criminal record checks from each country, which will likely take several months.

Valid WHMIS Certification (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System)
If there is ANY CHANCE of you handling any dangerous goods on board, then you MUST have current WHMIS certification (check with Chief Scientist for confirmation as your experiment may not, but you still may be helping others). The WHMIS course takes a couple of hours to complete and is valid for one year. IOS/PGC users may contact Michael Arychuk for an expiration check. Scientists that do not have access to an online in-house WHMIS course, may take a 3rd party online course and present their certificate upon boarding. If you are visiting from outside of Canada and you have taken a similar dangerous goods course from 2015 onwards (likely named Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals -- GHS) you may be exempt from WHMIS training, but contact the Chief Scientist to make sure.

Passport Required
If your trip will be on Tully, Laurier, Ricker, Vector, Otter Bay, any Arctic-bound vessel, any Internationally-bound vessel, or any vessel that may visit a foreign port, then you MUST carry a valid passport with you while on board. An Enhanced Drivers' Licence is NOT an acceptable alternative.

Liability Insurance
If you ARE NOT a Canadian federal government employee, then you MUST have 3rd party liability insurance when you go out to sea. Full and part-time students at Canadian universities may be covered by their current university insurance policy. Contractors will need to obtain third party insurance to satisfy this requirement. YOU MUST SUPPLY PROOF OF VALID 3rd PARTY INSURANCE PRIOR TO BOARDING.

Visiting Foreign Visitors' Declaration Form ~and~
Foreign Visitors Reliability Form
If you do not live in Canada then you MUST complete both of these forms and provide the supporting documentation, including a criminal record check, a copy of your passport and visa (if required by Canada for your country), and a letter of reference from your institution.

Information for Canadian Federal Government Employees
Current Travel Rates [HTML] April/October
Collective Agreement for TC group (EG, GT, etc) [HTML]
Collective Agreement for EL group [HTML]
Collective Agreement for AE group (BI, PC, CH, etc) [HTML]
Collective Agreement for SE group (SE-RES) [HTML]

Cruise Planning
Hazardous Materials: PDF | DOC | Example [PDF] 12 Jun 2007
Interactive Standard Station Maps [Interactive HTML] 09 Mar 2009
All Pacific Region Science Standard Stations [XLS] 16 Mar 2007
Pacific Region Standard CTD Stations [OziExplorer WPT]
You may download an evaluation copy of OziExplorer to view these.
16 Mar 2007

Data Collection Sheets
CTD Log Book/Sheets: Entire Book | Single Sheet [PDF] 26 Mar 2008
Plankton Log Sheets [PDF] 30 Jun 2007
Rosette Log Sheets [PDF] 26 Mar 2008